Monday, April 27, 2009

Ideal Me

Feeling dissatisfied with myself, I recently decided to create an "ideal me" list. All the things I should do, in a neat, orderly column. The perfect life I should be living. A well-thought out description of who I should be. So, I contemplated. I pondered. I deliberated, I mulled, I reflected. For weeks I went over and over in my mind the things that I should be doing, saying, feeling, spending time on - you name it, I covered it. What a list I had going. "Prepare Seminary lessons before noon every day." "Ironing done once a week." "From now on my garden will be weed-free." It was a masterpiece of detail and design, my list.

When the day came to write it all down, I was prepared. I was ready to commit. Ready for a better, more refined, more organized, more spiritual, more self-controlled me.

Then I prayed. I asked Heavenly Father for specific direction in composing my list. I asked for His will, His insight, His divine help.

He answered me. To my mind came this list:

* studies scriptures daily.
* fulfills Church callings faithfully.
* keeps an orderly home.
* is a blessing to my husband.
* carefully nurtures all my children.
* mindful of needs of extended family.
* industrious.
* fills mind with useful knowledge.
* cheerful and pleasant.
* kind and loving.
* has meaningful prayer.
* cares for my body.
* is progressing.

Reminding me again that what He thinks and sees and knows about me is much greater than what I think, what I see, what I know.

My list was limited and limiting. My list was daunting and full of potential failure opportunities, I see that now. His list allows for daily life. His list uplifts and encourages. His list holds the promise of true growth. His list is, in fact, ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment